Anything shared on this blog is independent of the Peace Corps and the U.S. Government, and should therefore solely be viewed as the opinions and observations of Lindsay Jean Buck.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

June 23, 2006 Lima or Bust

Our departure day has finally arrived. Some volunteers have waited over two years for their departure date, so I feel happy for them that this is all finally coming to fruition. I also feel happy for myself, because I am not so good at living out of a suitcase or being in limbo like this. I can’t wait to be settled in my new home! I thought that we were headed to a dormitory outside of Lima for the first three months of in-country training, but I found out yesterday that I was misinformed (probably by my imagination, and not another person). We are actually being placed with one family for training, and a different one for our 2 years of service. While it might be interesting to compare the two families, it might also be stressful to have to readjust in a few months, especially if we are entirely comfortable where we are.

Our plane conversations have been comedic, because the reality of our move is setting in even more, and we are becoming preoccupied with ridiculous details again, knowing fully that in a few months we will look back on our concerns and laugh. An even bigger joke is this whole business casual attire rule we have to follow. I understand that we are building a reputation for ourselves, but I also understand that it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep business attire from getting wrinkled during travel. We look like well-dressed bums, if there is such a thing.

Before I end here for the day, I have to say that my execution of “Group Leader” today was positively brilliant. I am not sure if its brilliance had anything to do with me, or the fact that the leader I thought might outshine me ditched us all at the airport to have a secret breakfast with his parents. He was so late that we had to have him paged. If this were a competition (which I kind of made it, just to challenge myself), I am the champion. Lindsay Leadership Buck. I am completely kidding- I just think that how the morning unfolded is hysterical. Anything in the world that makes me appear to be organized is pretty darned funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home