Anything shared on this blog is independent of the Peace Corps and the U.S. Government, and should therefore solely be viewed as the opinions and observations of Lindsay Jean Buck.

Sunday, December 23, 2007

December 17, 2007- Random observations

Regretfully, I have gotten too lazy to continue a written journal. From now on, this blog will serve as the only proof that I was ever here in Peru, so I suppose I should start being more detailed about things that make this country so unique to me. In contemplating its distinctiveness, I have recently concluded that Peru can, in a sense, be categorized as a stiflingly ordinary locale. While I agree that it is the most quintessentially Latin country in South America, and that its culture is nothing short of extremely rich and vivid, I feel that there are very few things that Peru can call its own (if skeptics of the above idea include something other than Machu Picchu in their arguments, I might be willing to reconsider my opinion). For instance, Peruvians are proud of having invented the Pisco sour, the national cocktail down here. However, I have talked to countless Chileans who claim that their country not only has better Pisco, but that Chile is the actual responsible party for the invention of the Pisco sour. How we will ever resolve this pressing concern, I know not. Or take Lake Titicaca, one of the most breathtaking sights in Peru. Part of it belongs to Bolivia! There is no escaping the fact that Peru is being overshadowed by the rest of the world! This is why I am just going to take note of the things that strike me as unique, because Peru might not stand out as extraordinary to the most seasoned traveler, but it´s still got my full attention.

I recently read my first Vargas Llosa book. He happens to be one thing that Peru can call its own, and I was impressed by my first read. It was a murder mystery written in the 80´s, and while it could have been more suspenseful, what it lacked in suspense it made up for in how well it captured coastal culture. Rather than continue this book report I have started, I really just wanted to comment on one thing. I was surprised and amused to find how often ¨your mama¨ jokes were used throughout the book. Because my host family is not composed of comedians, I have never been witness to such jokes in Peru. Who knew that your mama jokes were universal? When tension arises between countries, I propose the involved parties table the disagreement for a second and attempt to wow each other with their different spins on the traditional your mama comic template. It could really alleviate conflict I think. After all, isn´t it small similarities like this that bring people together?

Moving onto something I don´t understand. Peru loves its soccer, as do most Latin American countries. I cannot escape seeing at least one amateur game per day, but unfortunately its ubiquitousness has not aided in my learning how to play. This is why I am trying to introduce badminton to my community, but that is a different story all together. What I cannot understand about soccer here (aside from why it is still more popular than badminton) is the attire that everyone chooses to wear on their feet while playing. They wear thin and low-cut canvas booties (similar to Keds) with small plastic tips. The shoe, in all of its glory, has less support and comfort than a stiletto high heel. It really is perplexing. And this is just one of the many HIGHLY important things I spend my afternoons pondering.

You would think that being in a third world country and seeing just how bad living conditions and quality of life can be would put things into perspective for me. Maybe ground me and help me better prioritize my ambitions and concerns. I think that was true to a certain extent up until last week, that is, when I was diagnosed with my first cavity in my 25 years of not just existing, but gorging myself with sweets. Instead of understanding how my dietary choices were catching up to me or even blaming the fraudulent Chinese toothpaste that I have been using for the last three months, I told my dentist that she best look again because I am impervious to mouth rot of the sort. She chuckled (I KNOW! Entirely inappropriate and insensitive, right? Perhaps I didn´t make it clear that with just a few words she had ruined my life) and told me that she was positive that I had a cavity, but not to worry, that it was just a small one and could be taken care of in a jiffy. I don´t really know why she thought that stating the size of the cavity would make me feel better. With the bad news that she was bearing, she might as well have told me that there was a Grand Canyon sized crater building its nest in one of my molars. Small or large, a putrefying chasm exists in my mouth, which was previously uncharted territory to anything having to do with decay. As if I am not borderline neurotic about enough, I am now entirely convinced that anything containing the slightest trace of sugar is out to get me. Christmas should be a blast this year! Don´t even get me started on the headpiece that that very same dentist prescribed for me. Some people bloom into less awkward people as they get older. And then there is me. Right after I slip into my nightguard headpiece each evening, I have nothing but a recurrent nightmare about possessing dentures at the ripe old age of 25 to look forward to. This whole dental debacle has really put a damper on my Christmas plan, which was going to Lima and spending all of my Peace Corps savings on peppermint hot chocolates at Starbucks. I could have probably afforded three, but there goes that plan. Here´s to all of you having a less inhibited and happy Christmas! Don´t forget to brush!

Oh…before I go, did I mention that I taught 15 comprehensive dental health classes in the last month? The irony KILLS ME!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home